The Financial Risk Manager (FRM ®) is an international program administered by the Global Association of Risk Professionals (GARP). The exam is made up of two parts: The FRM exam part I and the FRM exam Part II. A person has to pass both the exams and demonstrate two years of professional work experience into risk management to achieve the FRM ® certification.
There are no educational or professional prerequisites to appear for the FRM Exam part I. However, FRM program is recommended to MBA, CFA, CA, CPA, CIMA and B.com professionals, as this is a specialization program into Risk Management.
The FRM exams are conducted in May and November and it’s a paper and pencil exam. There are over 45,000+ certified FRMs working in over 100 countries around the globe.
GARP has been offering FRM program since 1997. FRM program is getting highly popular; FRM Exams have grown by an average of 13% per year since 2010 and surpassed 56,000 in 2017. The growth has occurred in all major financial hubs United States, Europe and Asia.
More than 70% of FRM® are from outside the United States. FRM got a boost in 2007-2009 financial crisis when the industry was in a dire need of more risk professionals to handle the situations and improve the risk management. The financial crisis gave great opportunities to financial risk professionals.
1001 organizations had five or more FRM registrations. There are over 45,000+ Certified FRMs practicing worldwide. It’s now a global benchmark in risk management programs.
There are no educational or professional prerequisites to appear for the FRM Exam.
However, FRM is recommended to:
- MBA, CFA
- CA, CPA
- Working professionals in Banking, Investment or Finance
There are two parts/exams for FRM.
- Exam Month: MAY and NOV
- Both FRM exam part I and FRM exam part II can be given on the same day
- However, candidates choosing to sit for both Exams – Part I and Part II – on the same day, must pass FRM Exam Part I for FRM Exam Part II to be graded.
- Mode: Pen and Paper. Calculators are allowed.
- Format: Multiple Choice questions / No negative Marking
- Time: 4 hours in the morning for FRM Exam Part I and 4 hours in the afternoon for FRM Exam part II.
- Questions: 100 Questions for FRM Exam part I and 80 Questions for FRM Exam part II.
- Results: 6 weeks after the exam.
- Calculators allowed: Texas Instrument BA II Plus / HP 10B II / HP 12C
- List of FRM Examination centers
|Topic FRM I||Weight|
|Foundation of Risk Management||20%|
|Financial Markets and Production||30%|
|Valuation and Risk Management||30%|
|Topic FRM II|
|Risk Management and Investment Management||15%|
|Current Issues in Financial Market||10%|
One time enrollment Fee: USD 300
- Early Registration : USD 350
- Standard Registration : USD 475
- Late Registration : USD 650
- Register for FRM
You can prepare for FRM Exam part I through self studied or join a class room training. If you are interested in self-study then you can buy core readings / study material from GARP website or our complete FRM study material 2018. It takes normally 200 hours of self study to complete the curriculum.
If you are interested in online virtual classroom training or in-person classroom training you can contact us. These classes are held on Sunday Only. iPlan Education is an authorized exam preparation provider by GARP. You can check our FRM I Classes and Fee or contact us for any doubts/query.